September is the month of Our Lady of Sorrows. We remember Mary’s suffering and broken heart as she watched her son mocked, beaten, scourged, and put to death. She is our model for uniting our suffering to Christ on the cross. This month would be a great time to practice the Seven Dolors Devotion.
Seven Sorrows of Mary:
- The Prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:34-35)
- The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-15)
- The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:45-51)
- Mary meets Jesus Carrying the Cross (Luke 23:27-31)
- The Crucifixion (John 19:25-27)
- The taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross (Luke 23:50-56)
- The burial of Jesus (Mark 15:46-47)
The Seven Sorrows Devotion
The Blessed Virgin Mary grants seven graces to the souls who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary’s and meditating on her tears and dolors (sorrows). The devotion was passed on by St. Bridget.
The Seven Graces:
- I will grant peace to their families.
- They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
- I have obtained from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.